We want to improve the way that services are provided with a greater focus on helping people earlier rather than later and keeping people well.
Examples of this include:
- Supporting people to stop smoking - nearly 20% of people smoke in West Yorkshire and Harrogate. This is higher than the national average
- Reducing the number of people admitted to hospital due to alcohol consumption by 500 every year and reducing the number of ambulance call-outs for related incidents. In West Yorkshire and Harrogate alcohol consumption is a major concern - there are around 455,000 heavy drinkers across the area
- People with long term health conditions spend most of their time looking after themselves. We want to support them to do this with a focus on preventing illness, so they can stay well
- In West Yorkshire and Harrogate there are higher than average childhood obesity levels and 50% of people are overweight. We want to provide more people with support to help them to lead healthier lives
- Over 200,000 people are at risk of diabetes in the area. Our aspiration is that 50% of these people are offered diabetes prevention support.
You can read this presentation to find out more about our plans for a preventative approach to health and social care for our local population.